One thing that I really enjoy that I dont make time to do enough is bake. During this quarantine Ive made it all. Cookies, breads, cakes and snacks galore. My go to recipe that I could probably make every single week is banana bread. Its sweet, hearty and great for breakfast or a snack.
I recently started getting fresh produce from Farm Fresh Carolinas and in this weeks pickup there were fresh blueberrys. Now while the initial thought was these would be awesome in some pancakes, because there were so many I figured I could do something else with them.
So I do want to preface this by saying I am NO food blogger. I occasionally post various plant based meals while I am making them on my Instagram stories + save them to my Vegan highlight (check me out on Instagram here).
So I have this love for banana bread right? Well I had the bright idea to swap the banana’s for blue berries and BAM Blueberry bread was created. Let me just tell you, this was one of the best ideas Ive ever had. The blueberry bread came out wonderfully moist and delicious. With each bite there are tiny burst of blueberries adding to the sweet.
This is my go to quick batter recipe so you can swap the blueberries for just about anything! i.e chocolate chips, diced apples etc
- hand mixer
- measuring cups + spoons
- loaf pan
- 2 cups All- Purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tbsp Egg Replacer ( I use Bob's Red Mill brand, can also use 2 eggs if your diet permits)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup Plain Coconut Yogurt ( drain off extra liquid and add 1/2 tsp of lemon juice, let sit 30 min before using. This is also the equivalent to 1/2 cup of sour cream)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Oat Milk
- 1 1/2 cup Fresh Blueberries
Crumble Topping (Optional)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan with butter or coat with nonstick spray
- Starting with dry ingredients, whisk flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside
- Working with the wet ingredients and a handheld mixer beat the butter, sugars (white + brown) together on medium high speed for about 2 min until smooth and creamy.With mixer running at medium speed add egg replacer. Beat in yogurt and vanilla extract until well combined.Changing mixer to low speed begin to add the dry ingredients along with the oat milk into the wet ingredients. Mixing until there are no flour pockets. Fold in Blueberries (dont over mix, you want some whole blueberries in each bite)
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake for 1 hr and 5 mins, covering the top of the loaf with foil at the 45 min mark to prevent the top from burning. Using a clean fork or a toothpick insert into the center of the loaf at 1 hr 5 min. If the fork/toothpick comes out clean the loaf is done. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack inside loaf pan
- Cover and store at room temperature for 2 days or refrigerate for 1 week
Crumble Topping (Optional)
- melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a small bowl
- In another small bowl combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon
- mix the 2 tablespoons of melted butter into the dry ingredients using a fork until crumbles form. Sprinkle crumbles over loaf before baking
I don’t typically post recipes here but because I had so many people ask for it after posting to my feed, I decided to create a post here including how I created my loaf. If you guys like seeing some occasional recipes, Ill definitely start posting every once and a while. Just let me know in the comments or even send me a message on Instagram.
If you do decide to give this recipe a try please come back and comment how it turned out! While you are baking be sure to check out some of my other blog post.